About Wirlomin Noongar Language and Stories Inc.
Wirlomin Noongar Language and Stories Inc. is an association with the following aims:
- to reclaim Wirlomin stories and dialect, in support of the maintenance of Noongar language, and to share them with Noongar families and communities as part of a process to claim, control and enhance Wirlomin Noongar cultural heritage;
- to return and consolidate Aboriginal culture in its rightful community, create an awareness of its importance and the potential for an appropriate sharing of a Noongar cultural heritage with the wider community;
- to promote Noongar arts and culture through language, storytelling, illustration, music, song and dance to the Noongar community in Perth, Albany and other selected regional centres;
- to promote, foster and encourage Aboriginal authors and illustrators;
- to promote the Wirlomin books as literature/art in Perth, Albany and selected regional centres and also to the book buying public; and
- to provide an opportunity for people to participate in cross-cultural shared activities between Aboriginal and non-Aboriginal people whilst learning about Aboriginal culture.
The Wirlomin group honors the memory of past members, and the continued work of the group is a testament to their spiritual legacy:
- Lomas Roberts
- Gerald Williams
- Gerald Williams Jnr
- Geoff Woods
- Audrey Brown
- Rita Dempster
- Russell Nelly
- Geoffrey Roberts
- Edward Brown (Sr.)
- Jenny Crosbie-Moses
- Cedric (Chubbo) Roberts
Membership of the association is open to any person who has connections to the Wirlomin group*, is committed to furthering the objects of the association and who can make a positive contribution to the project’s endeavours.
*not the ‘Wilman’ of Norman Tindale’s map of tribal boundaries